- The groom must be at least eighteen years old and single.
- The bride must be at least eighteen years old and single.
- If either party is under the age of eighteen, parental consent is required.
The Marriage License
Both parties must apply in person at any Pennsylvania State Courthouse at least three business days prior to the wedding date, (the day of application is not included in the three day period). Photo identification (drivers license) must be provided. If previously divorced or widowed, the original divorce decree or death certificate must be submitted. Licenses may be picked up three days after the date of application (Monday through Friday), by the applicants or someone other than the applicants. The license is valid for sixty days and may only be used in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The cost for a license is approximately $40, however, the cost varies according to each courthouse.
The following information must be provided:
- Birth certificate for both applicants
- The birthplace of both applicants
- The names and birthplace of both parents of the applicants
- Both applicants will need to provide their mother's maiden name
- Both applicants need to provide Social Security Number Cards